This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.196 / 53°11'45"N
Longitude: -4.4208 / 4°25'14"W
OS Eastings: 238379
OS Northings: 369286
OS Grid: SH383692
Mapcode National: GBR 5B.2LKZ
Mapcode Global: WH42Z.2X3Q
Entry Name: Church of St. Cadwaladr, Meyrick memorial
Listing Date: 3 September 1998
Last Amended: 3 September 1998
Source ID: 20395
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The memorial is located in the churchyard directly NW of the N chapel of the church of St. Cadwaladr in Llangadwaladr.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
The memorial was erected by Sir George Augustus Eliot Tapps-Gervis Meyrick Bart. to his uncle Owen John Augustus Fuller Meyrick Esquire of Bodorgan d.1876, and was probably erected when Sir George Meyrick inherited the Bodorgan estate in 1896.
The Bodorgan estate is the Anglesey seat of the Meyrick family and by late C19 the largest estate on the island; the Meyrick family have had close ties with the adjacent church of St. Cadwaladr, the original N chapel of which was built in 1640 by Richard Owen Meyrick Esq. and of a vault beneath by his great grandson Owen Meyrick, 1730; the chapel was rebuilt by Owen Putland Meyrick Esqr. in 1801.
A Celtic Revival memorial cross set on a rectangular plinth with tapering sides. The cross is rectangular in plan with slightly tapering shaft and square-ended arms; with roll-moulding at the angles and the shaft and each of the arms decorated with intricate Celtic knotwork in relief. To the centre of each side of the cross is a circular recess containing a pictorial representation of a tower and raven. On the plinth is a recessed panel bearing the inscription: Erected by Sir George E W T Meyrick Bart. In loving memory of his uncle Owen John Augustus Fuller Meyrick Esquire of Bodorgan. Died February 12th, 1896.
Included as an excellent example of a Celtic Revival memorial cross, well-detailed and elaborately carved. The memorial is of particular historic interest for its connection with the Meyrick family of Bodorgan, whose family vault lies beneath the adjacent N chapel of the church of St. Cadwaladr.
Other nearby listed buildings