This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1803 / 53°10'48"N
Longitude: -4.4172 / 4°25'1"W
OS Eastings: 238565
OS Northings: 367524
OS Grid: SH385675
Mapcode National: GBR 5B.3MGN
Mapcode Global: WH435.3BV8
Entry Name: Cartshed at Bodorgan home farm
Listing Date: 3 September 1998
Last Amended: 3 September 1998
Source ID: 20396
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: The cartshed lies NW of the main courtyard range (barn, stables and cartsheds) at the NW entrance to Bodorgan home farm; c. 50m directly N of the main house at Bodorgan.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Late C19 cartshed. Bodorgan was one of a number of townships from which the Bishop of Bangor derived his income, and is first recorded in 1306. The estate forms the Anglesey seat of the Meyrick family, whose ancestors were tenants from late C14, the surname first documented in 1537. The estate expanded from the early C18 onwards, and by late C19 was the largest on the island. The main house (built 1779-83) was designed by John Cooper, architect of Beaumaris, who also designed some of the outbuildings, built in 1782. A building is shown on this site on the Tithe map of 1843, although it is unlikely to be the same structure as the present one, which was substantially re-built and re-roofed in the late C19 (pencilled graffito on beam reads: Made by / JWW / 1879).
Lofted cartshed of 2-bays with external steps to right gable end (SE). Built of rubble masonry, brick steps with slate treads; pitched slate roof with stone copings. Front elevation with 2 wide doorways with continuous timber lintel; loft access through square-headed doorway in SE wall, a single rectangular boarded light to left.
Roof of 2-bays with exposed king-post trusses (and torching), lofted at SE end. Floor of irregular stone flags. Two large harness pegs at NW end.
Included as part of the unusually complete estate centre at Bodorgan.
Other nearby listed buildings