History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Bodorgan, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1884 / 53°11'18"N

Longitude: -4.3993 / 4°23'57"W

OS Eastings: 239789

OS Northings: 368392

OS Grid: SH397683

Mapcode National: GBR 5B.35SW

Mapcode Global: WH435.D4B0

Entry Name: Aberhoccwn

Listing Date: 3 September 1998

Last Amended: 3 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20404

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set at right angles to the N side of a country road leading from the A4080 to the western shore of the Malltraeth estuary; c.1km SE of the village of Hermon.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Bodorgan

Community: Bodorgan

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in


Late C18. The cottage was originally built on part of the Bodeon or Bodowen estate, the neighbouring estate to Bodorgan and the Anglesey seat of the Owen family (also of Orielton, Pembrokeshire). In 1808 the estate was sold off and the cottage, along with many of the Anglesey properties, was purchased by William Lewis Hughes, created 1st Lord Dinorben in 1831. The Meyrick family were keen to acquire many of the properties, especially those that bordered their own lands, and during the 1840's negotiations took place between Lord Dinorben and Owen John Augustus Fuller Meyrick, the latter keen to secure and expand his estate. Aberhoccwn was one of the properties successfully purchased by the Bodorgan estate in mid C19. The Tithe map for the parish (1840) shows the original cottage only (the block at the right (N) end), this was later extended by the addition of another cottage to the left (S), both cottages now form a single dwelling.


A pair of vernacular cottages in a linear range; original lofted cottage to right (N) with former cowhouse to right (N) gable, and smaller, 2-window cottage to left (S) with lean-to to left (S) end. Built of rubble masonry, the older part with prominent boulder foundations. Roof of small slates, heavily grouted, the older part with small skylights; rendered gable stacks with capping. Lean-to at S end with corrugated iron roof; stone coping. Original cottage to right (N) has doorway offset to right (recently blocked to form window), flanked by 4-pane sashes. Main entry now at N end of range, via the former cowhouse and through a recently cut doorway in the N gable wall of the cottage; lower, left hand cottage has central doorway flanked by 4-pane sashes, the right hand window close to the gable end.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a pair of single storey vernacular cottages built in 2 phases and retaining traditional character in overall layout, scale of detail and use of materials.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.