History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodorgan, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1959 / 53°11'45"N

Longitude: -4.4228 / 4°25'21"W

OS Eastings: 238249

OS Northings: 369279

OS Grid: SH382692

Mapcode National: GBR 5B.2L3R

Mapcode Global: WH42Z.1X6T

Entry Name: Old School

Listing Date: 3 September 1998

Last Amended: 3 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20407

Building Class: Education

Location: Set back from the SW side of the A4080, directly opposite the junction with the B4422 to Bethel; lies c. 100m W of the church of St. Cadwaladr.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Bodorgan

Community: Bodorgan

Locality: Llangadwaladr

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Bodorgan

History

Built on land donated by O. J. A. F. Meyrick, Bodorgan, and opened on 17th February 1873; one of last 3 of the National Schools built on the island, and closed by 1904. The school was subsequently converted to a house.

Exterior

Linear schoolroom range asymmetrically planned with 2 gabled wings advanced to SE, lean-to porch entrance between, and canted bay at NE gable end. The school has granite rubble facing with limestone dressings. Modern slate roof with stone copings and bellcote along ridge of the advanced wing to right (NE); rendered stacks with ashlar scoring (ridge stack offset to NE and central stack to right (NE) of rear entrance).

The principal elevation faces SE; the gabled wings offset to left, each with paired gable apex windows, left hand wing with a 3-light ground floor window, right hand with 3 single windows (modern replacements). Between the advanced wings, a glazed porch, a raking half dormer above and a paired ground floor window to the right end. A doorway is set in the NE side of the right hand advanced wing; the NE gable has a ground floor canted bay window with paired window above flanked by single windows. The rear (NW) elevation has its doorway offset to the left flanked by single windows and a 3-light window to the right, above which is a band of single windows breaking the eaves lines; a further narrow ground floor window to right. Original windows were slightly recessed leaded casements of 1, 2 or 3 lights (many now with modern PVCu replacements); entrances with half-glazed doors.

Reasons for Listing

Included, notwithstanding alterations, as a bold and striking example of a British School; one of a number of such schools built during C19, and prominently sited to form one of the focal points of the village landscape. The school was converted for domestic use in the early C20, and the architectural character which it retains appears to owe much to this conversion, forming, with the expressive asymmetry of its plan, an arts and crafts style house of considerable character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Rectory
    Slightly set back from the N side of the A4080 in Llangadwaladr; the rectory lies c. 50m S of the church of St. Cadwaladr.
  • I Church of St.Cadwaladr
    Located within an enclosed rectangular churchyard (now extended to the SE); set back from the N side of the A4080 in the hamlet of Llangadwaladr.
  • II Churchyard gate to Church of St. Cadwaladr
    Set at the W end of the S wall of the enclosed rectangular churchyard of the church of St. Cadwaladr; set back from the N side of the A4080 in Llangadwaladr.
  • II Church of St. Cadwaladr, Meyrick memorial
    The memorial is located in the churchyard directly NW of the N chapel of the church of St. Cadwaladr in Llangadwaladr.
  • II Sarn Lodge
    Located at the SE side of the junction of the A4080 with the road leading down to the Bodorgan estate; c. 1.65km N of the main house at Bodorgan.
  • II Melin Hermon
    Set back from the N side of the A4080 at Hermon, c. 700m SE of the church of St. Cadwaladr in Llangadwaladr.
  • II Front lodge gates at Bodorgan
    Set at the W side of the main (N) approach to the Bodorgan estate; c. 1km N of the main house.
  • II Front Lodge at Bodorgan
    Set at the W side of the main (N) approach to the Bodorgan estate; c. 1km N of the main house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.