This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1954 / 53°11'43"N
Longitude: -4.3752 / 4°22'30"W
OS Eastings: 241423
OS Northings: 369112
OS Grid: SH414691
Mapcode National: GBR 5C.2RND
Mapcode Global: WH42Z.RYR7
Entry Name: Railway Viaduct north of Malltraeth
Listing Date: 3 September 1998
Last Amended: 3 September 1998
Source ID: 20408
Building Class: Transport
Location: Carrying the main Chester to Holyhead railway line over the Afon Cefni and flanking stretches of land across the Malltraeth Marsh; c. 750m NE of Malltraeth.
County: Isle of Anglesey
The Chester to Holyhead railway was proposed to improve links between London and Dublin. The bill was passed in July 1844, with Robert Stephenson as engineer and Francis Thompson of Derby as architect. The earliest work on the line took place on the stretches running through Llangaffo and Trefdraeth parishes, during the summer of 1845; the main contractor was Edward Ladd Betts who came to reside at Aber Braint while work was in progress. The line was opened on 31st March 1848 when the first train made the journey from Llanfairpwllgwyngyll to Holyhead.
Railway viaduct of 19 low spans, each a voussoir arch. Built of rusticated limestone masonry laid to diminishing courses; plain dressed parapet over a stressed cornice. Each arch now with internal concrete structural linings.
Included as an important structural component of the Chester to Holyhead railway, and a prominent landscape feature within the surrounding areas of reclaimed marshland. A bold design using masonry detailing to give the impression of solidity and permanence.
Other nearby listed buildings