This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2749 / 53°16'29"N
Longitude: -4.534 / 4°32'2"W
OS Eastings: 231130
OS Northings: 378324
OS Grid: SH311783
Mapcode National: GBR HN51.HWW
Mapcode Global: WH42J.BY57
Entry Name: Caergeiliog Chapel
Listing Date: 7 September 1998
Last Amended: 7 September 1998
Source ID: 20418
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in a slightly elevated position, set back slightly from the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road at the SW end of the village of Caergeiliog. Chapel house is at W side of walled yard to front of
County: Isle of Anglesey
Built-Up Area: Caergeiliog
Traditional County: Anglesey
The original chapel building was constructed in 1780, with re-building and alterations carried out in 1818 and 1872, commemorated by the inscription on a slate plaque set above the entrance.
A single storey, gable entry, Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Walls built with rubble, rendered, with rendered dressings; front angles with stressed quoins. Modern slate roof. Gable entrance front is symmetrically planned; a central round-arched entrance with square-headed doorway under a radial bar fanlight and flanking, tall, round-arched, slightly recessed windows; openings with moulded hoodmoulds on shaped brackets. Similarly detailed windows to each of the 3 side bays and 2 windows to rear, without hoodmoulds; side windows with slightly stressed keystones.
Entrance leads into small rectangular vestibule with side entrances leading into main body of chapel. Set fawr at entrance end, raised by one step, sub-rectangular with opposing side entrances. Recessed panelling to lower part with turned balusters under a moulded rail above; turned newel posts at entrances. Pulpit is rectangular, raised by 3 steps, similarly detailed to set fawr with advanced central canted bay of recessed panelling. All fittings are of pitch pine, including 3 ranks of raking box pews. Walls are plastered, painted, with the arched window surrounds painted in a darker colour. This is mirrored in the panel behind the pulpit, the arch following the line of the ceiling of the vestibule, forming a central arch with moulded cornice. Ceiling plastered with moulded cornice; each bay with relief moulding of radiating acanthus leaf to each light fitting, similarly detailed central ventilation grilled with moulded, decorative surround.
Listed as a good example of a simple early C19 chapel with later enhancements, which forms a coherent group with the adjacent chapel house.
Other nearby listed buildings