History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfaelog, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.229 / 53°13'44"N

Longitude: -4.4928 / 4°29'34"W

OS Eastings: 233698

OS Northings: 373119

OS Grid: SH336731

Mapcode National: GBR 57.0F38

Mapcode Global: WH42X.Y3QD

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 7 September 1998

Last Amended: 7 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20427

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located within grounds set back from the NE side of the A4080 in Llanfaelog, on the opposite side of the road to, and c22m N of the Church of St. Maelog.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanfaelog

Community: Llanfaelog

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Ty-croes Station

History

Early C19, shown on the Tithe map of the parish, 1845, as a simple rectangle; the rear wing probably added later in C19. Throughout most of C19, and into early C20, the rectory was home to members of the well-known and respected Trevor family. In 1835 Reverend J W Trevor came to the island from Caernarfon; born in Whittington, Shrophire and educated at Eton and St. John's College, Cambridge, he quickly learnt the Welsh language after his appointment as vicar in Caernarfon in 1817. He was one of 3 renowned ministers to come to the island at a time when many ministers were non-residents (the others being Rev. James Williams and Rev. W Wynne Williams), and earned a lucrative living with the churches of Llanfaelog, Llanbeulan, Tal-y-llyn and Llechyled under his care. His son, Reverend Thomas Warren Trevor M. A., was born in 1839, was Vicar of Llanfaes and Penmon 1868-89, Rector of Machynlleth 1889-1902, before returning to Llanfaelog as Rector in 1902.

Exterior

A double-pile, 2-storey house; symmetrically planned as 5-window range, arranged 2-1-2, with central gables advanced to front and rear to form a slender cruciform plan. A single storey gabled porch to the front. Built of rubble masonry, rendered, the right hand (NW) side elevation slate-hung. Slate roof, axial rubble stone stacks with square-set brick shafts; left (SE) gables hipped, right (NW) end pitched with gable stacks. The principal (NE) elevation has the main entrance through a segmental-headed arched opening in the gabled porch, which meets the advanced central block with splayed side walls, each having a Tudor arch-headed window of 2-panes. Above the porch is a casement window of 4-lights, each of 4-panes, upper lights top-hung, lower lights side-hung; moulded hoodmould over. The main range left, has similarly detailed ground floor windows, lower lights with 6-panes; first floor with paired 6-pane side-hung casements (without hoodmould), to its right similarly detailed first floor windows, a narrow doorway right of the porch and scattered fenestration of casement lights to the ground floor. The rear (SW) elevation is symmetrically planned 2-1-2 with windows as for the left-hand block of the front elevation; the windows in the advanced block without hoodmoulds. The NW elevation is slate-hung and the SE elevation slightly jettied, the first floor hung with a large slate plaque which bears a latin inscription and date: A. S. MDCCCCII; to THOMAS WARREN TREVOR A.M. (Rector of the parish and former inhabitant). Abutting the NW end of the house is a 2-storey, U-shaped range; the former servant's quarters. Built of rubble masonry, openings with roughly dressed voussoir arched heads. Slate roof, hipped at NW ends, pitched at SE end which is advanced from the N corner of the main house and has a cross shaped recess in its gable apex. Entrances are through doorways in the inner returns; fenestration is scattered, a mix of casement and sash windows, first floor with horizontally sliding sashes.

Interior

Not accessible at time of inspection (Aug 97)

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of an early C19 house, probably purpose-built as a rectory. The house is of interest for the emphatic symmetry of its planning, and the retention of original detail including fenestration.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St. Maelog
    Prominently sited in the centre of the village of Llanfaelog, set back from the junction between the
  • II Llanfaelog Community Centre
    Prominently sited in the centre of the village and on the opposite side of the road from the Church
  • II Melin Uchaf (aka Melin Maelgwyn)
    Located within a farm complex at the end of a single track lane S of the road running through Bryn D
  • II Bryn Du Chapel
    Located on the NE side of the road in the centre of the village of Bryn Du. The chapel is set back
  • II Melin y bont
    Located at the SW end of the village, set back from the SE side of the road passing through Bryn Du
  • II Ty Croes signal-box and attached station range
    Located on the SE side of the T-junction; directly on the N side of the level crossing at Ty Croes.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.