This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5865 / 51°35'11"N
Longitude: -3.6509 / 3°39'3"W
OS Eastings: 285718
OS Northings: 188805
OS Grid: SS857888
Mapcode National: GBR H9.C8DH
Mapcode Global: VH5H3.NDR4
Entry Name: Group of 4 Hopkin and Jenkins tombs within iron railings on the W side of the path to the S porch
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 8 September 1998
Source ID: 20434
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The goup of four tombs are enclosed in cast iron railings, and placed c.20m S of the S porch.
Town: Llangynwyd Middle
Community: Llangynwyd Middle (Llangynwyd - Canol)
Community: Llangynwyd Middle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A railed family burial ground including tombs from the later C18 to the early C20.
Enclosure formed with late C18-early C19 cast iron railings with fleur terminals, 10 balusters between each round and collared stanchion, and each having a sharply pointed terminal. Within, in the NE corner of the enclosure: (a) Narrow chest tomb built of ashlar, with undercut chamfered ledger slab, inscribed to David Hopkin, d.1762, his son, also David, d.1799, and John David added 1805. In the SW corner of the enclosure: (b) Chest tomb with wide fluted corner pilasters and moulded base, with a hipped capstone, the N side inscribed to Gwenllian Jenkins, d.1880. Ancestors inscribed on top, including Jane Jenkins of Gelli, d.1785, William Treharne of Gelly, d.1839, and Elizabeth, daughter of Gwenllian, d.1872. In the NW corner, a shaped headstone to William Lewis of Gelly Mill, d.1847, and wife, and in the SE corner, a red granite keeled hogback tomb to William Treharne Jenkins fo Gelli, d.1909.
Included as a fine group of tombs set within early C19 railings, of group value within the well-furnished churchyard of the church of St Cynwyd.
Other nearby listed buildings