This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0728 / 53°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.3054 / 4°18'19"W
OS Eastings: 245649
OS Northings: 355327
OS Grid: SH456553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJLX
Mapcode Global: WH43S.V104
Entry Name: Bridge over Afon Llifon to south of Glynllifon House
Listing Date: 29 May 1968
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20438
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately to south of Glynllifon House, a pair to the bridge a short way upstream carrying the circular drive over the Afon Llifon.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably built by 2nd Lord Newborough (died 1832) who canalised the Afon Llifon so that it ran across the lawn in front of the house (that being the predecessor to the present house erected by the 3rd Lord Newborough). This was one of many improvements he made to the pleasure grounds and estate starting in 1820’s.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Low single-arched stone bridge carrying the drive over the river. Dressed stone, coped, parapets scrolled at the ends and with small shaped abutments.
Included for group value with Glynllifon House and as one of the many surviving features within this exceptionally good landscaped park.
Other nearby listed buildings