This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0728 / 53°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.3063 / 4°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 245587
OS Northings: 355329
OS Grid: SH455553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJDB
Mapcode Global: WH43S.T1K4
Entry Name: Sluice, two sluice houses and linking footbridge adjacent to Children's Mill
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20441
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately behind the stable courtyard on the Afon Llifon.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably part of the 3rd Lord Newborough’s additions in the mid C19, perhaps associated with the adjacent Children’s Mill.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Either side of the stone sluice are two square brick built buildings faced in a mixture of dressed stone and glazed terracotta. Stepped flat roof with seated lion on top. Both are now overgrown; that to south is linked to the Children's Mill by a short brick wall. Inside are paddles for regulating the water flow into the leat leading to the Mill. The sluice house to north, by stables, has a cast-iron lamp standard inscribed John Evans 1920.
Linking the two sluice houses is a gated iron footbridge, now in poor condition with some of the deck and decorative parapets missing.
Included for group value with the Children’s Mill and for its context as part of this exceptionally well-preserved C19 estate.
Other nearby listed buildings