This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0725 / 53°4'20"N
Longitude: -4.3073 / 4°18'26"W
OS Eastings: 245518
OS Northings: 355295
OS Grid: SH455552
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJ4S
Mapcode Global: WH43S.T12D
Entry Name: Stone-walled leat adjoining north-east side of Watermill at Glynllifon
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20444
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The watermill is situated below the west drive to south-east of the stables; the leat is fed by the Afon Llifon and is culverted under the drive.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The leat is contemporary with the watermill which is earlier C19; it may be contemporary with the rebuilding of the house. As built it was an estate water mill providing flour etc. but turbines were later installed so that it could provide electric power for the immediate estate.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
Deep stone-walled and cement-rendered leat curves around from the west drive to reach wheel pit powering the overshot waterwheel. On the north-west side is a square reservoir with its own iron sluice gates. Close to the wheel is the surviving paddle for operating the main sluice, part of which remains. Beyond this the leat steps down and runs the remaining distance within a slate-lined trough.
Included for group value with the Watermill as an unusually well-preserved example of a leat serving an estate mill.
Other nearby listed buildings