This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0722 / 53°4'19"N
Longitude: -4.3078 / 4°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 245483
OS Northings: 355265
OS Grid: SH454552
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJ1L
Mapcode Global: WH43S.S1VL
Entry Name: Hay-barn to south of Watermill
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20446
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated at the far end of the yard to south of the mill which lies to the south-west of Glynllifon House
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Mid to late C19 barn, shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1887.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
Tall open-sided 6-bay estate hay barn built of honey-coloured stone with red brick dressings under a half-hipped slate roof. Tall opening on gable end facing mill with slate lintel and patterned ventilation holes above. The openings to the right hand (north-west) side have been partly filled in but the original effect is retained to left hand side where they remain open, full-height. Here there is an added corrugated lean-to. The tall opening at the south-west end has also been partly filled in but retains diamond patterned ventilators above. King-post trusses with two tiers of purlins.
Included as a good example of a later C19 estate barn and for group value with neighbouring listed buildings associated with Glynllifon.
Other nearby listed buildings