This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0731 / 53°4'23"N
Longitude: -4.3059 / 4°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 245613
OS Northings: 355361
OS Grid: SH456553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJGF
Mapcode Global: WH43S.T0RX
Entry Name: Fountain Pool to east of Stable Courtyard
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20451
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the east side of the forecourt to the stable block.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably contemporary with the mid C19 rebuilding of the house and stables and general estate improvements by the 3rd Lord Newborough. This fountain was once part of a small formal garden as indicated by archaeological evidence of the surrounding ground.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
Long concrete-sided pool in a lobed cruciform manner. Central fountain broken.
Also in this forecourt (at north-west end) is a relocated Gothic drinking fountain dated 1874.
Included for group value with neighbouring listed items at Glynllifon for its contribution to the historic character of the immediate surroundings of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings