This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0745 / 53°4'28"N
Longitude: -4.3079 / 4°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 245484
OS Northings: 355521
OS Grid: SH454555
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BB0R
Mapcode Global: WH43L.SZSD
Entry Name: Western pair of walled former Kitchen Gardens at Glynllifon
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20458
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the west of the road that leads up to the estate farm and extending west for approximately 500m.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The three kitchen gardens were begun by the 2nd Lord Newborough and the easternmost one was complete before 1824. This adjoining pair of walled gardens is of two periods; that to the right (the central of the three) was built before 1828 and was for vegetables and that to the left (the westernmost) was added by the 3rd Lord Newborough before 1840 and was an orchard.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
These two large former kitchen gardens are now used as paddocks, the later, westernmost, of the two is the smaller and has the Head Gardener's house at the north-west corner (separately listed). These two gardens are inter-linked and the right hand (central) garden is connected to the separately listed easternmost garden via an underground tunnel.
Rubble walls, lined in red brick with slate coping. That which borders the road has a pointed arch doorway near the north and south ends and an advanced square-headed doorway to the centre. The southern doorway has blue brick arch and double gates and beyond the wall adjoins the east range of the estate workshops. Further arched openings within transverse and north side walls including opposing gateways at the midpoints of the sides.
Included for group value with the eastern kitchen garden within this especially well-preserved estate complex.
Other nearby listed buildings