This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0748 / 53°4'29"N
Longitude: -4.3096 / 4°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 245376
OS Northings: 355553
OS Grid: SH453555
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.B9M9
Mapcode Global: WH43L.SZ06
Entry Name: Ty Rardd
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20461
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the north-west corner of the westernmost of the three former kitchen gardens to north-west of Glynllifon.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built as the Head Gardener's House almost certainly contemporary with the laying out of the last of the three walled gardens by the 3rd Lord Newborough before 1840. The wide eaves might suggest the building to be earlier and therefore part of the 2nd Lord Newborough's improvements but as it is integral with the structure of the later walled garden it is presumed to be mid C19. Enlarged to north after 1900 (not shown on Ordnance Survey map of that date).
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
2-storey and attic house built of local rubble under a slate roof with wide eaves and cement rendered clustered chimney stacks. Cross-shaped plan, modified by later extension to north. The main entrance was originally to the south where the blocked doorway is now visible; this is a 3-bay elevation, the central bay of which projects and is gabled to the full-height attic-storey. Small-pane horizontally sliding sash window (typical of the Glynllifon estate at this period) to each floor and another to right ground floor; modern window to left set over a single-storey lean-to. The east elevation is cement rendered and has unusually heavy Tudor dripmoulds; one similar small-pane sash retained, otherwise modern windows. The west side has a 4-pane horned sash and to the north is a single-storey extension via which the house is now entered.
Simple estate cottage interior retaining some panelled doors.
Listed for its special interest as a specific mid C19 estate building integral to the historic context of the especially fine complex surviving at Glynllifon.
Other nearby listed buildings