This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0709 / 53°4'15"N
Longitude: -4.3002 / 4°18'0"W
OS Eastings: 245992
OS Northings: 355103
OS Grid: SH459551
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BKXC
Mapcode Global: WH43S.X2HL
Entry Name: Magazine at Fort Williamsburg
Listing Date: 29 May 1968
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20465
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated immediately beside the Tower near the north-west corner of Fort Williamsburg, approximately 0.5km south-east of the house. Reached via a tunnel passage from the Parade Ground.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Fort Williamsburg was built by Sir Thomas John Wynn in 1761 following his election as MP for Caernarvonshire and his appointment as Constable of Caernarvon Castle and Lord Lieutenant making him responsible for the county's militia. He was a notable eccentric of his day and he carried out these responsibilities in an unparalleled way, by building his own private garrison within the park at the family home.
On the day of George III's coronation (September 1761) Wynn founded 'The Society or Garrison at Fort Williamsburg in Glynllifon Park' and he also created 'The Holy Order of Sisterhood United, Connected and Regulated with the Free, Firm and Friendly Garrison of Williamsburg' - a unique volunteer organisation. The intention was for the garrison to comprise a Commander in Chief, a Governor, Lieutenant-Governor, 100 Officers, an Archdeacon, 24 chaplains, 24 honorary members and an unlimited number of volunteers. Although the officers were not part of the regular army they wore full and colourful uniform all at Wynn's expense.
The Caernarvonshire Militia was mobilised for a year while there was a threat of French invasion but even after the 1763 Treaty of Paris the muster books show that the Williamsburg garrison continued to meet. However, having realised that Fort Williamsburg had limited strategic capability, and with the American War of Independence once again threatening British shores, Wynn began work on Fort Belan begun in 1775.
The magazine is likely to have been one of the original buildings at the Fort; modern restoration.
Circular rubble stone structure with flat roof set below a mound as a baffle. To north-west is a pointed arched doorway with brick voussoirs below a stone plaque inscribed 'Magazine'. On the other side are steps up to a viewing platform.
The fort is roughly square with redans to the four corners and with surrounding ditches and revetment walls.
Vaulted with brick floor.
Listed grade II* as an integral part of this rare and remarkable British example of an C18 private fortification.
Group value with other listed items at Fort Williamsburg.
Other nearby listed buildings