This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.073 / 53°4'22"N
Longitude: -4.3029 / 4°18'10"W
OS Eastings: 245818
OS Northings: 355347
OS Grid: SH458553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BK6S
Mapcode Global: WH43S.W06Y
Entry Name: Footbridge over Afon Llifon to east of house
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20471
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated approximately 120m east of the house at the beginning of the dingle to south of the main eastern vista; links footpaths along both sides of the Afon Llifon.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Dated 1826 and therefore part of the 2nd Lord Newborough's many improvements to the pleasure grounds. At about this time he canalised the Afon Llifon so that it ran across the lawn in front of the house (that being the predecessor to the present house erected by the 3rd Lord Newborough).
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Cast-iron footbridge spanning the river with single arched girder, the spandrels of which have circular pattern bracing. High balustrades with quatrefoil band and Gothic arches below the handrail that is rounded at the end. Iron deck. Dated to downstream side and the plate also has the name of the foundry - Cole & Co Iron Foundry Chester.
Included as a dated iron bridge and a significant feature from the early C19 improvements to the fine park at Glynllifon.
Other nearby listed buildings