This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0748 / 53°4'29"N
Longitude: -4.298 / 4°17'52"W
OS Eastings: 246152
OS Northings: 355535
OS Grid: SH461555
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.B6FT
Mapcode Global: WH43L.YZJ4
Entry Name: Iron Footbridge over Afon Llifon
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20477
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated approximately 500m north-east of the house at the base of the footpath up to the Hermitage.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Dated 1840 and therefore contemporary with the 3rd Lord Newborough's improvements to the pleasure grounds. The date and style is identical to that over the rear service drive to west of the house and that towards the northern end of the Afon Llifon dingle.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Cast-iron pedestrian bridge over the Afon Llifon. Girders and parapets all latticed and the parapets curve outwards to end in turned balusters.
Included as a dated mid C19 bridge and for group value with other listed structures within these fine C19 pleasure grounds.
Other nearby listed buildings