This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0776 / 53°4'39"N
Longitude: -4.2965 / 4°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 246264
OS Northings: 355843
OS Grid: SH462558
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.B0SW
Mapcode Global: WH43L.ZX70
Entry Name: Iron Footbridge approximately 150m south-west of the high bridge over the East Drive
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20481
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Spanning a weir on the Afon Llifon towards the northern end of the dingle to the north-east of the house and south-west of the high bridge over the east drive. Carries George's Path over the river.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Dated 1840 and therefore contemporary with the 3rd Lord Newborough's improvements to the pleasure grounds. The date and style is identical to that over the rear service drive to west of the house and the footbridge near the Hermitage.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Cast-iron pedestrian bridge over the Afon Llifon. Girders and parapets all latticed and the parapets curve outwards to end in turned balusters.
Included as a dated mid C19 bridge and for group value with other listed structures within these fine C19 pleasure grounds.
Other nearby listed buildings