This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0778 / 53°4'40"N
Longitude: -4.2961 / 4°17'46"W
OS Eastings: 246287
OS Northings: 355862
OS Grid: SH462558
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.B0W0
Mapcode Global: WH43L.ZWDV
Entry Name: Stone Bridge carrying East Drive over Afon Llifon immediately north of one of the iron footbridges
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20482
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated close to the northern of the two 1840 iron footbridges, carrying the East Drive from the north to the south side of the Afon Llifon. Approximately 100m south-west of the high bridge over the
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Possibly built in 1830's when the house and boundary wall, and in particular the East Lodge, were being built by 3rd Lord Newborough. The East Drive was one of several drives that ran through the park from the various lodges and entrances. The East Drive appears to have been short-lived or may have just been used as a ride and not for regular traffic.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours
Simple stone bridge carrying the level driveway from one side of the Afon Llifon to the other. Flat arch and low stone parapets stepped up at ends.
Included for group value with neighbouring listed bridges within these especially well-preserved C19 grounds.
Other nearby listed buildings