This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0734 / 53°4'24"N
Longitude: -4.3014 / 4°18'5"W
OS Eastings: 245917
OS Northings: 355381
OS Grid: SH459553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BKKM
Mapcode Global: WH43S.W0WP
Entry Name: Western Cavern north of the path near main east vista fountain
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20486
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated near the end of the east vista and to the west of the adjacent cavern; approximately 210m east of the house.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Possibly the work of the 3rd Lord Newborough c1840 contemporary with his conversion of the adjacent cavern from a former ice-house. This cavern may have been a fernery.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury. Influence for some of the garden features came from the family’s grand tours.
Set back from the path and composed of a large, semicircular forecourt cut into the side of the valley. It is surrounded by a stone revetment wall and to the centre is a round-arched entrance. Now blocked.
Included as one of the many earlier C19 garden features within the especially fine grounds at Glynllifon.
Other nearby listed buildings