This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0744 / 53°4'28"N
Longitude: -4.3024 / 4°18'8"W
OS Eastings: 245853
OS Northings: 355502
OS Grid: SH458555
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BCBN
Mapcode Global: WH43L.WZDF
Entry Name: Dovecote and attached range to left at south-east corner of farmyards at Glynllifon College Farm
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20490
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At the south-eastern corner of the upper of the two inter-linked farmyards and adjacent to a range of cartsheds. Glynllifon College Farm is approximately 200m uphill from the house and reached via a
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
There is a date of 1852 on a porch in the lower farmyard which gives a likely date for much of the complex although there was presumably a pre-existing estate farm and the style of the arched entrance to the lower farmyard is diagnostic of the work of the 2nd Lord Newborough suggesting that part of the farm is likely to date from before 1832. This range is likely to be amongst the earlier buildings within the farm.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
2-storey square dovecote built of local rubble stone with a pyramidal slate. Over the front entrance is a 'T-shaped' window formerly with small-panes over 2-lights. Blank rear wall. Attached single-storey range to left; the latter has three doorways to front and a small yard. In poor condition at time of inspection.
Dovecote has slate floor and doveboxes retained. Pilastered central pillar may have once supported the potence or may be reused.
Included for group value with other farm ranges at this good example of an early to mid C19 former estate farm.
Other nearby listed buildings