This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0747 / 53°4'28"N
Longitude: -4.3031 / 4°18'11"W
OS Eastings: 245807
OS Northings: 355529
OS Grid: SH458555
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BC65
Mapcode Global: WH43L.WZ28
Entry Name: L-shaped Range of farm buildings, including walled enclosure to south, at Glynllifon College Farm
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20495
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At the south-western edge of the farm and closing the south side of the lower of the two inter-linked farmyards. Glynllifon College Farm is approximately 200m uphill from the house and reached via a
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
There is a date of 1852 on a porch in the lower farmyard which gives a likely date for much of the complex although there was presumably a pre-existing estate farm and the style of the arched entrance to the lower farmyard is diagnostic of the work of the 2nd Lord Newborough suggesting that part of the farm is likely to date from before 1832.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
To the south of the arched gateway and cowhouse is a small rubble-walled enclosure. Beyond, running north-south up to the south-west corner of the farm complex, is a single-storey rubble and slate-roofed farm building, possibly a workshop. It has cross-frame windows, slate lintels and off-centre doorway. Attached at right angles is a cattleshed that encloses the south side of the lower farmyard up to the through-passage that adjoins the tall barn. Continuous openings to inner side, four are segmental flanked by square-headed openings to either end.
Not accessible at time of inspection.
Included for group value with other farm ranges at this good example of an early to mid C19 former estate farm.
Other nearby listed buildings