This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2641 / 53°15'50"N
Longitude: -4.4525 / 4°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 236521
OS Northings: 376931
OS Grid: SH365769
Mapcode National: GBR HNC2.C6D
Mapcode Global: WH42R.K6YZ
Entry Name: Milestone at Engedi crossroads
Listing Date: 22 September 1998
Last Amended: 22 September 1998
Source ID: 20512
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set in front of a low rubble field wall at the N side of the A5(T), at the crossroads with the B5112 and A4080.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. As well as overseeing the work, Thomas Telford also designed every detail of the road, and this milestone is one of a number designed for it c.1817-32.
Dressed granite slab, set into wall, with shallow triangular head and raking chamfered sides. Cast iron inset plate with lettering reading: HOLY- / HEAD / 9 / MONA / 4 / BANGOR / 16.
Listed as a fine example of one of Telford's milestones retaining its cast iron plate.
Other nearby listed buildings