This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7294 / 51°43'45"N
Longitude: -4.1757 / 4°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 249835
OS Northings: 205645
OS Grid: SN498056
Mapcode National: GBR GS.84MP
Mapcode Global: VH3M4.KSTN
Entry Name: Horeb Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 16 October 1998
Last Amended: 16 October 1998
Source ID: 20536
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: 1 km east of Five Roads on the B4309
Community: Llanelli Rural (Llanelli Wledig)
Community: Llanelli Rural
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Oval stucco plaque at apex states the chapel was built in 1832 and rebuilt in 1868.
A rural chapel in simple Classical style, built in irregularly coursed local sandstone laid in a mortar of white lime incorporating coarse grit. Axe-dressed finish with larger quoins. The front (to the north) and the right side are of exposed masonry, the other faces rendered. The roof has been relaid in concrete tiles, but retains the original deep verge and decorative eaves. The front elevation has a central door consisting of two three-panel leaves, round headed. Small round-headed window above door. Flanking round-headed windows of sash type. All the front windows have narrow margin and central panes. Tall round-headed windows in side elevations, with plain fixed glazing. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
The freestanding walls at the front of the chapel have copings moulded from copper-working slag.
Entered through a plain anteroom. Symmetrical stairs without doors lead to gallery. Both staircases have handrail on one side only, with newels but only one baluster to support the sweep of the handrail. Symmetrical doors to chapel, each door consisting of two two-panel leaves. Coloured glass window to interior. Chapel seating in four blocks, in panelled joinery with carved seat-ends. The seating each side of the pulpit faces inwards. Pulpit with panelled front, reached by twin stairs with newels and turned balusters; similar railings to pulpit sides. The gallery is against the wall opposite to the pulpit only, its front designed in broad panels with prominent mouldings. Clock at centre. One central support-column to the gallery, of cast iron, 120 mm diameter. The gallery seating is in four steeply pitched rows, in similar joinery to the main seating. Three painted decorative features to the ceiling, for former pendant lights and ventilators.
Listed as a good mid-Victorian rural chapel, with much intact original detail.
Other nearby listed buildings