This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0469 / 53°2'48"N
Longitude: -3.7003 / 3°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 286115
OS Northings: 351311
OS Grid: SH861513
Mapcode National: GBR 68.D1N4
Mapcode Global: WH66C.4P71
Entry Name: Holyhead Road Bridge at Bron-cadnant
Listing Date: 19 October 1998
Last Amended: 19 October 1998
Source ID: 20574
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge is 500m E of Pont Hendre-isaf, on the Holyhead Road, W of Pentrefoelas.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The London to Holyhead Road was re-aligned and improved by Thomas Telford, engineer, from 1819 with a view to improving communications between London and Dublin. The poor state of the road to Ireland had excercised Parliament from before 1810, and a survey was commissioned from Telford in 1811. Monies granted following the setting up of a commission in 1815, but the work on this section did not take place until after the opening of the Menai Bridge, and the construction of the 32.186km Anglesey section in 1828. Telford designed the road formation and bridges, and provided details of ancillary structures including tollhouses and milestones. This bridge was probably erected c1820 to the instructions and detail of Thomas Telford to carry the Holyhead Road over the valley of a small tributary of the Afon Merddwr.
Rubble stonework. A single segmental arch spanning 5.1m between canalised stone abutments, comprising a single ring of 0.4m deep voussoirs rising 1.9m above water level to a horizontal square string at the base of the flush parapet. This has a stone-on-edge coping, ending in small square piers. The abutment wall outside the span of the arch is slightly battered at the base. The carriageway is level, 8.66m wide with parapets 0.5m each side.
Included as a work by Thomas Telford, a leading civil engineer of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings