History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Hendre-isaf (partly in Ysbyty Ifan)

A Grade II Listed Building in Pentrefoelas, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0458 / 53°2'44"N

Longitude: -3.7077 / 3°42'27"W

OS Eastings: 285615

OS Northings: 351204

OS Grid: SH856512

Mapcode National: GBR 67.D5V0

Mapcode Global: WH66C.0PQV

Entry Name: Pont Hendre-isaf (partly in Ysbyty Ifan)

Listing Date: 19 October 1998

Last Amended: 19 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20575

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge carries the road over the Afon Conwy on the W edge of the community, spanning the boundary with Ysbyty Ifan.

County: Conwy

Town: Pentrefoelas

Community: Pentrefoelas

Community: Pentrefoelas

Locality: Hendre-isaf

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Pentrefoelas

History

The London to Holyhead Road was re-aligned and improved by Thomas Telford, engineer, from 1819 with a view to improving communications between London and Dublin. The poor state of the road to Ireland had excercised Parliament from before 1810, and a survey was commissioned from Telford in 1811. Monies granted following the setting up of a commission in 1815, but the work on this section did not take place until after the opening of the Menai Bridge, and the construction of the 32.186km Anglesey section in 1828. Telford designed the road formation and bridges, and provided details of ancillary structures including tollhouses and milestones. This bridge was probably erected c1820 to the instructions and detail of Thomas Telford to carry the Holyhead Road over the Afon Conwy, a major obstacle on the route.

Exterior

Rubble stonework. A single segmental arch spanning 10.8m between canalised stone abutments, comprising a single ring of 0.65m deep voussoirs rising to a soffit of 5.8m above water level to a horizontal square string at the base of the flush parapet. This has a stone-on-edge coping, ending in small square piers. The abutment wall outside the span of the arch is slightly battered at the base. The carriageway is level, 6.7m wide between parapets 0.5m each side.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an example of engineering by Thomas Telford, a leading civil engineer, of the early C19, at which time was becoming more important to obtain a level carriageway.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.