This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0647 / 53°3'52"N
Longitude: -3.654 / 3°39'14"W
OS Eastings: 289261
OS Northings: 353220
OS Grid: SH892532
Mapcode National: GBR 6B.BT0Z
Mapcode Global: WH66C.V75C
Entry Name: Chapel at Hafod
Listing Date: 19 October 1998
Last Amended: 19 October 1998
Source ID: 20597
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is set at a remote crossroads on the edge of open moorland 2.75km from the junction with the A5 Holyhead Road.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A Calvinistic methodist chapel, built probably in the mid C19 and shown on the 1875 Ordnance Survey map, to serve the few outlying farms on the S slope of Mynydd Hiraethog.
Built of stone, rendered with stone chip finish and lined out, with horizontal rendered bands, and a slated roof. A simple rectangular building of 2 bays with a side door within a gabled porch roofed at right angles to the body of the building. Sixteen-paned sash windows on the E side, 2 six-paned windows to the rear.
The interior is plastered and ceiled at collar level with painted ventilation roses. Simple pews, seating c50 persons, those at the end turned to form an enclosure in the SE corner around the lectern. Plank dado.
Included for its special historic character as an example of a remote upland chapel serving a small scattered settlement.
Group value with Glanrafon.
Other nearby listed buildings