History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Gaerwen, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.223 / 53°13'22"N

Longitude: -4.2803 / 4°16'49"W

OS Eastings: 247861

OS Northings: 371976

OS Grid: SH478719

Mapcode National: GBR 5H.0YJH

Mapcode Global: WH431.7800

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 20 October 1998

Last Amended: 20 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20613

Building Class: Transport

Location: Abutting the churchyard wall of the new church of St Michael, Gaerwen; slightly set back from the N side of the A5(T).

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog

Community: Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog

Locality: Gaerwen

Built-Up Area: Gaerwen

Find accommodation in
Gaerwen

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. As well as overseeing the work, Thomas Telford also designed every detail of the road, and this milestone is one of a number designed for it c1817-32.

Exterior

Dressed granite slab, set into wall, with shallow triangular head and raking chamfered sides. Cast iron inset plate with lettering reading: HOLY- HEAD / 17 / MONA / 4 / BANGOR / 8.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of one of Telford's milestones retaining its cast iron plate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II School rooms adjacent to the Church of St Michael
    Located within the church grounds and directly E of the Church of St Michael (new church), Gaerwen, set back from the N side of the A5(T).
  • II Church of St Michael (new church)
    Set back from the N side of the A5 (T) at the western end of the village of Gaerwen, in walled churchyard with lychgate.
  • II Melin Sguthan (also known as Union Mill)
    Set back from the N side of a minor road leading off the A5(T) in Gaerwen, situated c100m N of the new church of St Michael.
  • II War Memorial
    Set back slightly from the S side of the A5(T), within a small enclosed area bounded by railings, to the front of Gaerwen Village Hall.
  • II Melin Maengwyn
    Set back from the N side of the A5(T), c750m E of the new church of St Michael, Gaerwen.
  • II Remains of former Plas Berw
    In an isolated location, at the end of a single track lane, NW of the B4419, and c1.3km WSW of the Church of St Michael (new church) in Gaerwen. The remains of the old house lie in the grounds to the
  • II* Plas Berw with courtyard and walls
    In an isolated location, at the end of a single track lane, NW of the B4419, and c1.3km WSW of the Church of St Michael (new church) in Gaerwen.
  • II Church of St Michael (old church)
    In an isolated location, set back from the NW side of a country road and reached only by footpath. The church remains lie within an enclosed churchyard, c1.4km N of the new Church of St. Michael, Gae

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.