History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School rooms adjacent to the Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Gaerwen, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2233 / 53°13'23"N

Longitude: -4.2801 / 4°16'48"W

OS Eastings: 247875

OS Northings: 372012

OS Grid: SH478720

Mapcode National: GBR 5H.0YKP

Mapcode Global: WH431.773S

Entry Name: School rooms adjacent to the Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 20 October 1998

Last Amended: 20 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20616

Building Class: Education

Location: Located within the church grounds and directly E of the Church of St Michael (new church), Gaerwen, set back from the N side of the A5(T).

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog

Community: Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog

Locality: Gaerwen

Built-Up Area: Gaerwen

Find accommodation in
Gaerwen

History

Erected in 1849; datestone in one of the interior rooms. The parish of Llanfihangel Esgeifiog underwent a number of changes in the early C19. There was a growth in population around the Pentre Berw area, brought about by the influx of workers to the nearby coalmines, and the building of Telford's new road across the island also led to an increase in population along its route. In the 1840's it was decided to build a new church and National School at the present, more central, location in Gaerwen. The school was established in 1850, built at a total cost of £766, on land donated by the Marquess of Anglesey.

Exterior

A single-storey school room complex; main rectangular range with wing set at right angles to W and smaller parallel range to E with linking block between. Built of local rubble masonry with gritstone dressings; slate pitched roof with stone copings and short rubble gable stacks to main and parallel range. Windows are slightly recessed, small-paned casements; gable walls of the main block and W wing have large windows with slate lintels, in the gable apex above the S window is a slate sundial. The main entrance is through double doors in the S wall of the linking block, a further doorway is in the N end of the E wall.

Interior

The main block and W wing all form one large room; another smaller room in the parallel (E) range has a stone in the W wall bearing the date 1849. Walls are plastered, whitewashed; the ceiling enclosed with plaster panels. Wooden floors.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a mid-C19 rural school, designed according to Gothic Revival principles, which forms a coherent group with the adjacent Church of St Michael.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone
    Abutting the churchyard wall of the new church of St Michael, Gaerwen; slightly set back from the N side of the A5(T).
  • II Church of St Michael (new church)
    Set back from the N side of the A5 (T) at the western end of the village of Gaerwen, in walled churchyard with lychgate.
  • II Melin Sguthan (also known as Union Mill)
    Set back from the N side of a minor road leading off the A5(T) in Gaerwen, situated c100m N of the new church of St Michael.
  • II War Memorial
    Set back slightly from the S side of the A5(T), within a small enclosed area bounded by railings, to the front of Gaerwen Village Hall.
  • II Melin Maengwyn
    Set back from the N side of the A5(T), c750m E of the new church of St Michael, Gaerwen.
  • II Remains of former Plas Berw
    In an isolated location, at the end of a single track lane, NW of the B4419, and c1.3km WSW of the Church of St Michael (new church) in Gaerwen. The remains of the old house lie in the grounds to the
  • II* Plas Berw with courtyard and walls
    In an isolated location, at the end of a single track lane, NW of the B4419, and c1.3km WSW of the Church of St Michael (new church) in Gaerwen.
  • II Church of St Michael (old church)
    In an isolated location, set back from the NW side of a country road and reached only by footpath. The church remains lie within an enclosed churchyard, c1.4km N of the new Church of St. Michael, Gae

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.