This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -3.1928 / 3°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 318032
OS Northings: 223604
OS Grid: SO180236
Mapcode National: GBR YY.Q2NP
Mapcode Global: VH6C8.LDX1
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20620
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 250m S of Cwmdu church, set back from E side of A479 and reached by private drive.
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Said to have been converted to a vicarage c1840 from a barn. Its first occupant was Thomas Price, incumbent of Cwmdu 1825-48. Known by his bardic name Carnhuanawc, Price was one of the foremost C19 Celtic scholars, his chief work being 'Hanes Cymru' (1824), and is buried at Cwmdu. The house occupied by Price comprised the present entrance range, which was modified and extended later C19. Ceased to be the vicarage late C20.
Two-storey rubble-stone house with slate roof and stone stacks. Consisting of an entrance range to W (the earlier building) with 2 wings behind, comprising a higher S wing with garden front, and service wing to N with a 2-span roof parallel with entrance range.
Three-window entrance range has a central stone stack and a gabled bay to R with external stack. To R of apex of gabled bay the entrance range roof is higher and incorporates an attic storey. The walls have a pronounced batter at the base. L of gabled bay is a 3-bay canopy composed of broad cast iron columns, wide segmental arches with cusped panelling in the spandrels, and a hipped roof. The doorway to centre is boarded and ribbed and part lit with 3 panes, to R of which is narrow sash window, and to L a 3-light mullioned and transomed window. In the upper storey is a horned sash to L, half-dormer with 2-light casement in centre and narrow sash to L of gable stack.
The garden front to S has a cross-window in the gable end of entrance range, to R of which is 4-window S wing. In the upper storey are horned sashes under gablets (narrower to R of centre where lighting the stairs). Similar but taller sashes to lower storey, except L of centre and R which have bigger cross-windows incorporating casements. The gable end of S wing has a stepped external stack with horned sash to R in upper storey, to R of which is similar sash in upper storey of service wing. (C20 conservatory added to E side of building.) The 2-window N front of service wing has attic windows with 2-light casements and larger 2-light casements under segmental heads in the upper storey. At lower level to R is a similar but tall and narrow window lighting the stair. The lower storey windows are later insertions. L of centre is a half-lit boarded door and to R is similar half-lit door with panels and chamfered surround. The gable end of the entrance range has added 1st-floor openings with Breconshire windows, and has a lean-to former bakehouse.
Not inspected at time of survey (September 1997).
A good mid C19 vicarage retaining early character, and for its association with Thomas Price, one of the foremost Welsh scholars of the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings