This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8717 / 51°52'18"N
Longitude: -3.2059 / 3°12'21"W
OS Eastings: 317071
OS Northings: 219928
OS Grid: SO170199
Mapcode National: GBR YX.SCDF
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.D60Y
Entry Name: Dipping Pool and Steps at Gliffaes
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20631
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On N side of courtyard outside main entrance to Gliffaes.
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Gliffaes is said to have been built c1881 for Rev. W. West, the architects being Brown & Gill of Bath. West's father, William H. West, had laid out the gardens c1845 and lived in an earlier house to N, which became a stable when the new house was built. Gliffaes was sold in 1903 to Sir Shirley Salt, who added a porte cochere to the entrance. The house became a hotel c1936. The ornamental dipping pool is an integral part of the 1880s set piece.
Ornamental dipping pool of coursed rubble sandstone with tooled dressings. On the S side facing the house is a semi-circular pool of dressed stone with a V-shaped spout. The spout is inside a round-headed recess with hammer-dressed voussoirs and projecting keystone, all beneath a shaped gable with projecting coping stones. To L and R of pool are stone steps to lower level. On the N side is a simpler rectangular pool at a lower level fed from a stone spout.
A well-detailed garden feature making an important contribution to the setting of Gliffaes.
Other nearby listed buildings