This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9152 / 51°54'54"N
Longitude: -3.1854 / 3°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 318561
OS Northings: 224734
OS Grid: SO185247
Mapcode National: GBR YY.PJJ3
Mapcode Global: VH6C8.Q4V5
Entry Name: Penuel Chapel
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20653
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Approximately 1km NNE of Cwmdu church on N side of minor road from A479 to Cwm Rhos. The chapel is within a walled graveyard with a steep embankment at rear.
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Locality: Rhiangoll Valley
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A Welsh Independent community formed in 1785 built its first chapel in Cwm Rhos in 1805. The present building probably dates from c1840.
Small chapel of rubble stone painted white, with slate roof and stack at L end. The front has large 12-pane hornless sashes R and L of centre above which at R and L ends are 16-pane windows with central pivot (lighting the gallery inside). The doorway is to extreme R inside an added gabled porch, boarded inside, and has a boarded and ribbed door. In the R gable end is a continuous drip stone at eaves level.
Inside doorway is a small vestibule leading to the interior. A straight stair leads to a 3-sided gallery on slender cast iron columns and which has a ribbed and panelled front. The pews have similar panelling. The pulpit is between the large windows and is similarly panelled. Its steps have turned balusters and newel. (The set fawr has been removed.)
A good example of a plain earlier C19 rural chapel retaining its interior character.
Other nearby listed buildings