This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8735 / 51°52'24"N
Longitude: -3.1809 / 3°10'51"W
OS Eastings: 318794
OS Northings: 220090
OS Grid: SO187200
Mapcode National: GBR YY.S5MH
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.T57N
Entry Name: Stable and Carriage House at Penmyarth
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20672
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On NE side of Penmyarth house facing a service court.
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably 1830s and built after the acquisition of Penmyarth Park by Joseph Bailey in 1831. Bailey incorporated Penmyarth into Glanusk Park on the S side of the Usk, which he had purchased in 1825. Penmyarth House was subsequently used by the agent of the Glanusk Estate, created in the 1840s largely out of enclosed common land.
Single-storey, of roughcast walls painted white and slate roof. The carriage house to L has a wide doorway and a vent strip to its R. In the centre is an advanced bay under a gablet with an inserted clock in a shallow recess, and a cross window below with small-pane glazing. Further R is a boarded door with 3-pane overlight, and to R end is an advanced gabled bay with 2 cross windows. The R end wall has a 2-light casement lower R and a similar loft window to centre. Behind is an added lean-to.
Not inspected at time of survey (August 1997).
Included for group value with Penmyarth, and an integral component of the surviving buildings on the Glanusk Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings