This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8714 / 51°52'17"N
Longitude: -3.1747 / 3°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 319219
OS Northings: 219859
OS Grid: SO192198
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.S74W
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.X7J6
Entry Name: Tower Lodge and Glanusk Bridge (partly in Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine community)
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20689
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The lodge and bridge are located towards the N side of Glanusk Park. The bridge crosses the River Usk with the lodge at its S end.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
The lodge and bridge are probably by Robert Lugar. A shield on the bridge bears a date of 1836. In 1831, Penmyarth Park was incorporated into Glanusk Park and the bridge was built as a link.
Three-span flat-decked bridge with wide segmental arches and narrow voussoirs. Constructed of coursed grey rock-faced stone in large blocks. Narrow string course with parapets above built of smaller stone blocks, and with ramped copings. In the centre of each parapet is a shield with an engraved date of 1836. Large projecting cut-waters with pyramidal tops, above which are narrow pilasters. The base of the N cut-water on the W side has been refaced in concrete blocks. Oval tie plates, through and flanking pilasters. The bridge extends Southwards to the lodge, which is located up the bank. The extension contains a large circular opening with voussoirs, through which a trackway runs with a cobbled surface. There is a further pattress plate to its N.
Tudor-revival style lodge and gate-house in the form of a late-medieval fortified tower. Square 2-storey structure with embattled parapets and high battered plinth. Octagonal turret at the SE corner. Constructed of coursed grey rock-faced stone in large blocks to match bridge. At first floor level is a pair of string courses, between which is a row of shields bearing coats of arms. There is also a string course below the parapet and at the top of the plinth. The lower storey contains a through-passage with basket arches in the N and S walls. In the upper storey are flat-headed sandstone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, containing 3 round headed lights with diamond quarries. These openings are flanked at ground and 1st floor level by tall blind slits (except to the SE). The E side of the tower has a window to each storey, similar to the N and S sides but with 2 lights, while the ground floor window has an additional transom. There is a narrow slit at plinth level. The W side is similar to the E side but the windows both have 3 lights. Below them is a planked door to a basement room. The octagonal turret rises higher than the tower and also has an embattled parapet. It has tall narrow slits to each storey except on the S and E sides where there are single round-headed windows.
Inside the gateway are arched openings to the E and W to match those to the N and S. Beyond the W arch is a small bay with no features. To the E is a similar bay with a planked and ribbed door under a segmental head which provides access to the tower (not entered). At the N end of the bay is a similar door. Flagstone floor. Tierceron ribbed vaulting above entrance gateway.
Listed grade II* as a picturesque structure that is a significant surviving element of the original design for Glanusk Park, laid out by Robert Lugar.
Group value with other listed items around the site of Glanusk house.
Other nearby listed buildings