History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fro Bridge (Canal Bridge No 122)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8671 / 51°52'1"N

Longitude: -3.1844 / 3°11'3"W

OS Eastings: 318545

OS Northings: 219391

OS Grid: SO185193

Mapcode National: GBR YY.SJRZ

Mapcode Global: VH6CG.RBDH

Entry Name: Fro Bridge (Canal Bridge No 122)

Listing Date: 21 October 1998

Last Amended: 21 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20693

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located immediately E of an estate cottage called Fro, the bridge carries the B4558 road over the canal. To the W the road runs along the S bank of the canal, and to the E, along the N side

County: Powys

Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)

Community: Llangattock

Locality: Hendreforwydd

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llangynidr

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799. The upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections being engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. The canal was sold to the Monmouthshire Canal Company in 1865, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal in 1933 and it was finally abandoned in 1962. The canal, renamed the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, has been undergoing restoration since 1964, and is currently used by pleasure craft.

This bridge lies within the section constructed by Thomas Dadford between 1797 and 1799.

Exterior

Single-span hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone, with segmental arch and continuous parapets. The arch has thin voussoirs and a keystone to the W. On the E (downstream) side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief. To the NE and SW, the parapets are splayed and follow the curve of the road. To the NW, the parapet ends in a pier while the SE end is straight but strengthened by a buttress. The copings are of flat stones to the W and concrete to the E. The bridge has been strengthened by 16 iron ribs in the arch soffit with concrete between them.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as one of a group of well-preserved original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fro
    Located off the N side of the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road where it curves round sharply to the S to cross the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. The house is set down from the road, and the gro
  • II Hendreforwydd
    Located at the end of a track 0.5km long, which leads SW from the B4558 and the Usk valley. The farmhouse is orientated S to N, while the ground slopes down sharply to the N. Two ranges of agricultur
  • II Barn at Hendreforwydd
    Located at the end of a track 0.5km long, which leads SW from the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road. The barn is set into a steep slope with the cowhouse and stable to E and farmhouse to NW.
  • II Cow-house and stable at Hendreforwydd
    Located at the end of a track 0.5km long, which leads SW from the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road. The building is orientated S to N, while the ground slopes down sharply to the N. There is a ba
  • II Pen-y-bryn Bridge (Canal Bridge No 123)
    Located 0.35km W of an estate cottage called Fro, the bridge carries a track over the canal from the B4558 road to fields on the Glanusk Estate.
  • II Penmyarth Park Chapel
    In Penmyarth Park approximately 550m W of Glanusk Bridge, on N side of River Usk. The church is surrounded by railings.
  • II Former Saw Mills
    Located in a group to the N of Home Farm at Glanusk Park. The saw mills form the S side of a yard, the N side being occupied by workshops and offices and the E side by a cart shed.
  • II Towerwood Kennels
    Situated in Glanusk Park, in front of a masonry wall bounding Tower Wood, which follows the S bank of the River Usk. 0.22km from Tower Lodge. There are said to be animal graves on the E side of the

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.