History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dark Bridge (Canal Bridge No 109)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8439 / 51°50'37"N

Longitude: -3.1261 / 3°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 322517

OS Northings: 216738

OS Grid: SO225167

Mapcode National: GBR F1.V15L

Mapcode Global: VH6CH.RXPD

Entry Name: Dark Bridge (Canal Bridge No 109)

Listing Date: 21 October 1998

Last Amended: 21 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20697

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated 0.45km E of Pen-pedair-heol Bridge (Canal Bridge No 110), this bridge links areas of woodland and carries a path.

County: Powys

Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)

Community: Llangattock

Locality: Pen-Pedair-Heol

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Crickhowell

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799. The upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections being engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. The canal was sold to the Monmouthshire Canal Company in 1865, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal in 1933 and it was finally abandoned in 1962. The canal, renamed the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, has been undergoing restoration since 1964, and is currently used by pleasure craft.

This bridge lies within the section constructed by Thomas Dadford between 1797 and 1799.

Exterior

Single-span bridge of rubble sandstone with asymmetrical segmental arch and continuous parapets. The narrow deck slopes up sharply from N to S. The arch has thin voussoirs, and on the E (downstream) side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief. The parapets are splayed, especially sharply to the S. A low wall running parallel with the towpath butts the NE side of the bridge.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as one of a group of well-preserved original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.