This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8455 / 51°50'43"N
Longitude: -3.1397 / 3°8'22"W
OS Eastings: 321585
OS Northings: 216938
OS Grid: SO215169
Mapcode National: GBR F0.TXH0
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.JWJ3
Entry Name: Park Bridge (Canal Bridge No 112)
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20698
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge carries a footpath over the canal and links Llangattock Park with fields beyond. Located 0.3km SE of Park Farm.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Llangattock Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799. The upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections being engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. The canal was sold to the Monmouthshire Canal Company in 1865, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal in 1933 and it was finally abandoned in 1962. The canal, renamed the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, has been undergoing restoration since 1964, and is currently used by pleasure craft.
This bridge lies within the section constructed by Thomas Dadford between 1797 and 1799.
Single-span hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone, with segmental arch with voussoirs and continuous parapets. The parapets are slightly splayed with square end piers. The copings are mainly of upright stones with some flat stone replacements. Concrete deck.
Listed for its special interest as one of a group of well-preserved original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridges.
Other nearby listed buildings