History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Llangattock (Canal Bridge No 116) aka Ffawyddog Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.853 / 51°51'10"N

Longitude: -3.1527 / 3°9'9"W

OS Eastings: 320705

OS Northings: 217780

OS Grid: SO207177

Mapcode National: GBR F0.TDLZ

Mapcode Global: VH6CH.9PND

Entry Name: Pont Llangattock (Canal Bridge No 116) aka Ffawyddog Bridge

Listing Date: 21 October 1998

Last Amended: 21 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20702

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge carries a lane over the canal which runs W from Llangattock village towards Ffawyddog. It is 0.4km from the Church.

County: Powys

Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)

Community: Llangattock

Built-Up Area: Llangattock

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Crickhowell

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799. The upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections being engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. The canal was sold to the Monmouthshire Canal Company in 1865, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal in 1933 and it was finally abandoned in 1962. The canal, renamed the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, has been undergoing restoration since 1964, and is currently used by pleasure craft.

This bridge lies within the section constructed by Thomas Dadford between 1797 and 1799.

Exterior

Single-span hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone, with segmental arch of voussoirs and continuous parapets. On the S (downstream) side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief. The parapets are splayed with end piers. The deck slopes down sharply towards the E and a retaining wall curves round to the S from the SE end pier. The copings are mainly of upright stones with some flat stone replacements.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Glanonney
    Located on the NW side of Hillside Road, just SW of the centre of the village. The house is fronted by a circular driveway, and the Nant Onnau runs immediately to the rear of the property.
  • II* Cwrt Llangattock
    Situated on the NW edge of Llangattock village, 0.15km from the church, and on the W side of the lane leading to Dardy.
  • II Old Six Bells
    Located in the centre of Llangattock village, 80m S of the Church, on the road which leads out to Ffawyddog.
  • II Village Farm
    Located in Llangattock village, immediately S of the Church. Bounded by a stone wall to the front with cast iron gate.
  • II Pen-y-Pentre (aka The Old Factory House)
    Located in a prominent position in Llangattock village, at the fork of 2 roads and opposite and to the N of Bethesda Chapel. The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal is a short distance to the SW.
  • II* Church of St Cattwg
    Located at the N end of the village, 0.6km from Crickhowell Bridge. In an oval churchyard with a lych gate to the SW.
  • II Churchyard Cross Base at Church of St Cattwg
    Located in the graveyard of St. Cattwg’s Church, alongside the path which runs along the S side of the church and just SW of the priest’s door.
  • II Horse Shoe Inn
    Located on the NE side of the main street in Llangattock village, opposite the turning to Park Drive.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.