This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8476 / 51°50'51"N
Longitude: -3.152 / 3°9'7"W
OS Eastings: 320739
OS Northings: 217179
OS Grid: SO207171
Mapcode National: GBR F0.TSW5
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.BT0J
Entry Name: Limekiln
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20705
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located between Lower and Upper Yard Bridges (Canal Bridges Nos 114 and 115) on the W side of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal; to S of the large bank of limekilns at Llangattock Wharf.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Llangattock Wharf
Built-Up Area: Llangattock
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799.
From 1815, limestone was brought down by tramroad from the Llangattock quarries by the Brecknock Boat Co. These limekilns, built c 1815-30, belonged to Messrs Bailey of Nantyglo Ironworks who exported their iron from Llangattock wharf. The kilns had gone out of use by the 1870s as a result of railway competition.
The kiln consists of an earthwork mound, with 2 draw hole vaults facing the canal. The draw hole vaults are of stone, but none of the facing wall remains. Round arched entrances with voussoirs. At the backs of the vaults are brick walls containing draw-eyes. In front of the kiln is what appears to be a small wharf (overgrown).
Listed for its special interest as an early C19 limekiln associated with the Llangattock limestone quarries and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.
Group value with other listed items close to and associated with Llangattock Wharf.
Other nearby listed buildings