This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8678 / 51°52'4"N
Longitude: -3.1756 / 3°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 319151
OS Northings: 219453
OS Grid: SO191194
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SDY6
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.XB10
Entry Name: Hay Barn to W side of farmyard
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20708
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located in the farmyard to the rear (N) of the Home Farm at Glanusk Park. This barn forms part of the W side of the farmyard.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
This hay barn was probably part of the major improvements carried out to the Home Farm in the later C19.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Three-bay open-sided hay barn with almost full-height round headed openings. Constructed of snecked grey stone with stone dressings including voussoirs. Under a slate roof with a panel of diamond tiles in the centre of the E pitch. The E and W elevations are 3-bay, whilst the N and S gable ends each have 1 round arch with a smaller square opening beneath the apex. The arch of the N gable end is flanked by projecting timber beams, probably to aid lifting. The S gable end has a 5-bay extension with full-height openings and stone piers.
Included for group value with other listed buildings as an integral part of this particularly well-preserved C19 estate farm complex.
Other nearby listed buildings