This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8707 / 51°52'14"N
Longitude: -3.1779 / 3°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 319001
OS Northings: 219781
OS Grid: SO190197
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.S6CQ
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.V7VR
Entry Name: Towerwood Kennels
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20713
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated in Glanusk Park, in front of a masonry wall bounding Tower Wood, which follows the S bank of the River Usk. 0.22km from Tower Lodge. There are said to be animal graves on the E side of the
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Mid to late C19 purpose-built kennels, shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map dated 1889 as kennels.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Symmetrical single storey range, possibly with attic, flanked by lower single storey ranges, and with further wing to rear. Constructed of snecked masonry with stone quoins under slate roofs. Heavily overgrown by vegetation. The central range has stone end stacks with octagonal shafts. All the openings are under flat stone lintels and have stone sills. The front of the central range has a wood planked door flanked by 2-light casement windows, mainly barred, and with frosted glass. The lower ranges are each 2-unit with a doorway towards the centre and a window to the outside. Most of the windows have iron bars and shutters behind. Only 1 door survives, in the W range. The L unit of the E range has a blocked doorway and has a 2-light casement window rather than shutters.
There are no openings to the gable ends. The kennel ranges have 2 small recesses to the rear, probably connected with the heating. The single storey rear wing leads off the W side of the central range. It has a circular masonry end stack and a louvred bell turret, and the front (E) has a planked door to the L and a shuttered 2-light casement window to the R.
The flanking kennel ranges have simple interiors with iron pipes fixed to the rear wall, probably to provide heating. No access to interior of central range which was presumably accommodation for the kennel-man, and also functioned as a boiler house.
Listed for its special interest as purpose-built kennels for Glanusk Park and for group value with other listed items on the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings