This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.867 / 51°52'1"N
Longitude: -3.1751 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 319184
OS Northings: 219364
OS Grid: SO191193
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SF22
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.XB9M
Entry Name: Weigh Bridge House including weigh bridge
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20714
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated in Glanusk Park, just inside the gateway off the B4558 opposite the Home Farm. (In front is the cast iron weigh bridge, set in flagstones, bearing the inscription: H. Pooley & son / Liverpoo
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The weigh bridge house is probably mid C19 and possibly contemporary with estate improvements of 1860s.
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and 1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
Small, 1-unit, single storey range. Constructed of snecked masonry with quoins under a slate roof. The front (W) elevation has a panelled and ribbed door to the L and a 2-light fixed window to the R, both rising to the eaves. There are no openings to the rear or in the gable ends. A masonry boundary wall runs off from the front angles of the walls.
Plain interior with whitewashed plaster. Weights and calculations are written on the walls. Some original equipment still survives.
Listed for its special interest as a well preserved C19 estate weigh bridge house.
Group Value with the Home Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings