This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8684 / 51°52'6"N
Longitude: -3.1718 / 3°10'18"W
OS Eastings: 319414
OS Northings: 219522
OS Grid: SO194195
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.SFVS
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.Z91H
Entry Name: The Stable Court
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20715
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in the centre of Glanusk Park, to the SW of the site of the former house, and NE of the Home Farm.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Glanusk Park
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Glanusk Park was created in 1825 by the ironmaster Sir Joseph Bailey (1783-1858), nephew of Richard Crawshay of Cyfarthfa Castle. The house, by Robert Lugar, was built between 1825 and 1830 and was in Tudor Gothic style characterised by octagonal ogee turrets and pinnacles. It was demolished in 1952-54 following extensive damage caused in World War II.
The Stable Court is part of the original design of Glanusk Park. In the late C19, about 20 horses together with carriages and carts were kept here. By 1910, there were only 4 horses and some of the stables had been converted to garages, a games court and fruit store. The square structure at the W end of the N range may be a later brew house, while the W half of the S range is probably a later addition. The clock was originally on the extenal gable of the gateway but has been moved to the internal one.
Forming 3 sides of a square around a courtyard, the mews block consists of a long E range with central gabled gateway and N and S ranges. Two storeys, constructed of coursed sandstone under hipped slate roofs. Characterised by square hoodmoulds, multi-pane windows and a plinth band. The focus of the court is the tall gabled gateway, a square structure with turrets to the angles. These are square-section, but the tops become round, and are capped with flat coping stones and finials. Each face bears 2 blind arrow loops, 1 to each storey. The entrances are under dressed segmental arches. Above them are 2 string courses separated by a row of shields. In the centre of the outward-facing gable is a circular recess containing a stone tablet and bearing a shield. Above it is a blocked cruciform-shaped vent. The verges of the gable bear 2 decorative bands. The courtyard-facing elevation is similar, but the gable is occupied by the clock which is fixed to a square blue panel beneath a hoodmould.
The outward-facing wall of the E range has 4 blind arrow loops to each side of the gateway. Above these to the L are three C20 2-light casement windows, while to the R is a row of breather holes. The L and R interior sides flanking the gate tower are symmetrical and all the openings are under square hoodmoulds: a central door with multi-pane overlight is flanked by cross-windows, above which are small 2-light casement windows. The windows are multi-paned except for the top L one which is replaced with shutters. The door to the L is panelled and ribbed while there are stable doors to the R. The L roof pitch has a large skylight.
The courtyard elevation of the N wing has 4 panelled and ribbed doors, to the L, R and centre. The 4th door is immediately R of the L doorway and is the only one without a square hoodmould and overlight. The right hand two doors are flanked by multi-pane cross-frame windows. The upper storey has four 2-casement windows under hoodmoulds; the L window is original with small panes. The W end of the N range has a large centrally placed blocked window opening, with a smaller opening above with iron bars. Both have square hoodmoulds. Attached to the W end is a square single storey structure of snecked masonry under a hipped slate roof, with panelled and ribbed double doors to the front. It has a small lean-to to the rear.
The S range consists of former cart sheds or garages with accommodation over. The W half may be a later addition or rebuilt. There are 2 circular masonry stacks, one to the L (E) and another just L of centre. The ground floor is characterised by wide doorways under segmental arches with double panelled and ribbed doors, all painted blue. To the L are 6 continuous doorways. To the R are 4 further double doorways more widely spaced. Between these 2 elements is a panelled door with overlight. The upper storey has seven 2-casement windows with small panes. The 4 to the L are under square hoodmoulds. There are no openings to the W end. The rear has 2-casement windows as elsewhere, some with hoodmoulds; 2 ground floor windows are blocked and there are 2 later insertions.
Used as stables, accommodation and for storage. Inside the gateway, a stone staircase runs up the S side, with an iron handrail. In the wall below the stairs are 3 round headed openings with voussoirs, at different heights. The lower 2 are recesses, whilst the highest one has a door under a tympanum with steps leading down to a basement. The N side of the entrance has a similar doorway, with a second at the E end which is blocked, and a blocked square feature between the two. The stairs lead up to the 1st floor of the adjoining range which is currently empty but was formerly for accommodation. It has a king-post roof with narrow struts. A further flight of stairs leads to the clock tower. The S range contains accommodation in the upper storey, whilst the former cart sheds below are used for storage. Stables are located in parts of the N and E ranges. They contain wood panelled loose boxes with tiling to the rear faces and mangers in the corners.
Graded II* as a particularly fine and well preserved early C19 stable courtyard.
Group value with associated listed buildings at Glanusk Park.
Other nearby listed buildings