Ice House at Llan Wysg
A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8618 / 51°51'42"N
Longitude: -3.1538 / 3°9'13"W
OS Eastings: 320640
OS Northings: 218761
OS Grid: SO206187
Mapcode National: GBR F0.SSD8
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.9G1M
Entry Name: Ice House at Llan Wysg
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20724
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Situated in the garden at Llan Wysg, to the NE of the house, where the ground slopes down towards the River Usk.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably built late C19, following acquisition of the property by the Glanusk estate. Said by local tradition to be the last ice-house built in Wales. Llan Wysg was built by John Nash for Admiral Gell in 1797, purchased by Hotchkis in 1806 and sold to the Glanusk estate in 1868.
Built into a bank where the ground slopes down sharply towards the N. Front wall of roughly coursed masonry containing an opening under a segmental arch with voussoirs. Fittings can be seen for the former door.
A single vaulted chamber runs into the bank from the entrance.
Reasons for Listing
Included for group value with Llan Wysg and for its special interest as a surviving ice house.
Other nearby listed buildings
Situated to the NW of Dardy hamlet, on the N side of the B4558 road, where the ground slopes down to the River Usk. The house is approached by a driveway from the SE.
Llan Wysg Cottage
Located at the N end of Dardy, a C19 settlement, to the N of Llangattock village.
Folly Bridge (Canal Bridge No 119)
The bridge carries a trackway and footpath NW from the hamlet of Dardy into woodland owned by the Glanusk Estate.
Located at the SE end of Dardy, a C19 settlement to the N of Llangattock village.
Located on the N side of the driveway which forms the S entrance to Glanusk Park. Just off the B4558 Llangattock to Llangynidr road. The ground falls away steeply to the N. The house is surrounded
To NW of the town and reached by a back road to Tretower N off A40, set back from the road and end on into the hillside.
Set back from the road on the northern edge of Crickhowell and reached by a short driveway beside Cwmbeth Brook.
Lodge to Maescelyn
Situated to NW of the town at the bottom of the drive to Maescelyn House; facing S. beside the pyramidal capped gate piers.