Gates and gate-piers at main entrance to Plas Llangattwg
A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8543 / 51°51'15"N
Longitude: -3.1441 / 3°8'38"W
OS Eastings: 321300
OS Northings: 217915
OS Grid: SO213179
Mapcode National: GBR F0.T8S0
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.GN7D
Entry Name: Gates and gate-piers at main entrance to Plas Llangattwg
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20725
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: The gates are located at the main entrance to Plas Llangattwg. The entrance is on the W side of the road which leads into the village.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably mid C19. Thought to have been made in a forge at Glangrwyne on the N bank of the Usk, after 1830 by when the road is known to have been realigned from its original route which passed through the grounds of the house. Other pairs of similar gates are found in the locality. Plas Llangattwg, home of the Morgan family, dates from the Tudor period, it was largely rebuilt in the early C18 and substantially remodelled in the late C18.
A pair of gates consisting of rows of wrought iron circles. The upper tier have open tops which are twisted. The ironwork is painted white. The gates are fixed to dressed stone piers with swept pyramidal copings. Masonry boundary walls extend from the piers.
Reasons for Listing
Listed as a fine pair of C19 wrought iron gates in a distinctive style and having group value with Plas Llangattwg.
Other nearby listed buildings
'Peach House' at Plas Llangattwg including attached former boiler-house
Located in the kitchen gardens at Plas Llangattwg. The W end of the structure forms part of a long masonry wall which divides the formal gardens from the kitchen gardens.
Located at the N end of the village, 0.15km from the church. The house is situated within oval-shaped gardens, the road curving round them to the SE. Ornate cast iron gates on the roadside lead to a
Barn at Plas Llangattwg including pigsties
Situated at the SW end of the grounds of Plas Llangatwg, and lining the street within Llangattock village.
Located on the SW side of the main street in Llangattock, almost opposite Plas Llangattwg Barn and 0.3 km from the church.
Churchyard Cross Base at Church of St Cattwg
Located in the graveyard of St. Cattwg’s Church, alongside the path which runs along the S side of the church and just SW of the priest’s door.
Church of St Cattwg
Located at the N end of the village, 0.6km from Crickhowell Bridge. In an oval churchyard with a lych gate to the SW.
Horse Shoe Inn
Located on the NE side of the main street in Llangattock village, opposite the turning to Park Drive.
Located in Llangattock village, immediately S of the Church. Bounded by a stone wall to the front with cast iron gate.