This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.844 / 51°50'38"N
Longitude: -3.1768 / 3°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 319023
OS Northings: 216809
OS Grid: SO190168
Mapcode National: GBR YZ.V0LQ
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.WXD8
Entry Name: Pen-Rhiw
Listing Date: 21 October 1998
Last Amended: 21 October 1998
Source ID: 20736
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 2.4km SW of Llangattock church. Located off the S side of the road which leads from Llangattock to Beaufort. Built on a slope which rises to the Mynydd Llangattock.
Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)
Locality: Cwm Onnau
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
C17-C18 farmhouse with downhill cow house, impoved in the late C19. Marked on the Llangattock Tithe Map of 1845 as house and garden owned by Joseph Bailey of Glanusk Park.
Two-storey, 2-window house with attached byre, of battered whitened rubble stone walls. The house has a slate roof and masonry end stacks heightened in brick. Added lean-tos to rear. The front has a gabled porch to the R with a boarded and ribbed door under an arched head. The window openings are offset to the L and have segmental stone heads and stone sills. Hoodmoulds to lower storey. The windows to the R are wider. All the openings contain small-pane Breconshire windows. The cow house to the R is lower and has a roof partly of stone tiles, and partly slate. To the front it has boarded doors under timber lintels to L and R of centre. In the N gable end is a loft hatch under a timber lintel offset to the L. Below it is an added 1-storey lean-to with boarded door. The S gable end is rendered, with a window offset to the L in the upper storey and a small bunker at ground level. To the rear are 2 added lean-tos; that to the R is almost full height with a C20 red brick stack and casement window. To the rear of the byre is a further lean-to; a boarded door leads into the byre.
No access to interior at time of inspection (December 1997).
Listed for the special interest of its distinctive early origins and in-keeping estate improvements in C19.
Other nearby listed buildings