This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.648 / 51°38'52"N
Longitude: -3.0252 / 3°1'30"W
OS Eastings: 329164
OS Northings: 194856
OS Grid: ST291948
Mapcode National: GBR J4.79S3
Mapcode Global: VH79Z.JV20
Entry Name: Elim United Reformed Church and attached Schoolroom
Listing Date: 23 October 1998
Last Amended: 31 October 2003
Source ID: 20740
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a walled and gated burial ground, on the S side of Commercial Street in the centre of Cwmbran.
Community: Cwmbran Central (Cwmbrân - Canol)
Community: Cwmbran Central
Built-Up Area: Cwmbran
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Independent Chapel erected in 1844. Elim split from nearby Penywaun in 1843. Schoolroom erected in 1872.
Rendered externally, slate roof. S gable-front has well-proportioned stucco facade. External render incised with lines in simulation of ashlar. Monumental flat-headed neo-Grec doorcase; moulded architrave has projecting roundels and big hood-mould supported on elaborate consoles; panelled double-doors. Flanking entrance are tall round-arched windows with moulded architraves and aprons. Upper gable carries a stone tablet inscribed:
Tablet has moulded architrave; base forms part of continuous string course at eaves level. Corners of gable-front emphasised by raised render at angles, in simulation of quoins. Single-storey Schoolroom is attached to right of main chapel. Render incised, as before; slate roof. Off-centre gabled porch has round-arched entrance doorway with plain overlight and 4-panel door. Tablet in gable dated 1872. Front wall of school has three 12-pane sash windows with segmental arched heads.
Double doors into narrow panelled vestibule: round-arched leaded-light window in facing wall; gallery stair to right and 6-panel door to chapel, left. Medium-sized, single cell chapel with gallery across entrance-side only, and painted woodwork. Raked gallery, supported by slender cast-iron columns, has open backed benches and front of rectangular wooden panels; the inner faces of the middle panels curved around centre clock. Attached to panelling at back of the chapel are a pair of close boarded pews with shaped ends. Leaded-light windows with patterned glass, some modern secondary glazing. The 'set fawr', pulpit, and rear pulpit wall are modern, in contrast to the front end which is a relatively unaltered interior for the period.
Chapel with imposing front and unusual Greek Revival doorcase which, despite interior changes, still retains a strong historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings