This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5551 / 51°33'18"N
Longitude: -3.6053 / 3°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 288803
OS Northings: 185245
OS Grid: SS888852
Mapcode National: GBR HC.F7VN
Mapcode Global: VH5HB.G5DP
Entry Name: Abutments to overbridge/ loading bay on the former Duffryn Llynvi and Porthcawl Railway
Listing Date: 23 October 1998
Last Amended: 23 October 1998
Source ID: 20746
Building Class: Industrial
Location: The section of the former tramway extends from above Rock-fawr for approximately 180m to the N, and includes the retaining walls and embankments of the loading bay/ overbridge.
Town: Llangynwyd Lower
Community: Llangynwyd Lower (Llangynwyd - Isaf)
Community: Llangynwyd Lower
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The Duffryn Llynvi and Porthcawl Railway was built following a bill, 6 Geo IV c, civ, receiving royal assent on 10.6.1825. It was opened in 1828 and extended N to Caerau in 1829-30. Robert Gabb was the surveyor and John Hodgkinson the designing engineer. The line climbed from near sea level at Porthcawl dock to 149m (490ft), with an average gradient of 1:180. The single line, of 4ft 6in (1.372m) gauge, with passing places, was set in a 4.6m wide reservation, bounded by stone walls through farmland and at other appropriate places. It provided links to Porthcawl dock and served the many small mineral extraction enterprises along its route. The drift mine with its associated loading arrangments are amongst the best preserved features surviving from this important railway
The tramway consists of the standard 5m wide reservation laid out to be approximately on the 90m contour winding through Coed Tondu, with three sharp bends. The flank walls of the former overbridge forming the loading bay consist of two 3.0m high rubble walls either side of the track, flattened at the top to take transverse rails (now missing) of the overbridge to carry trucks coming directly from the opening to the drift mine c.19m to the W. Originally laden trucks emerging from the pit discharged directly through front or back openings into the trucks of the Duffryn Llynvi and Porthcawl tramway below.
The bridge abutments flanking the track are included as being amongst the best preserved features to survive from this important industrial railway. A rare survivor of loading facilities on an early railway.
Other nearby listed buildings