This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8229 / 51°49'22"N
Longitude: -3.0173 / 3°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 329980
OS Northings: 214301
OS Grid: SO299143
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WB6B
Mapcode Global: VH796.NF7W
Entry Name: Entrance Gates, Boundary Wall and railings to former Bethany Chapel
Listing Date: 27 October 1998
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 20755
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Fronting the roadway on north-east side of Market Street along the boundary of the former Bethany Chapel.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Baptist Chapel of 1882, designed by E A Johnson of Abergavenny, built by local contractor J G Thomas. The same design used for the railings and gates at the Bethany Chapel appears in a contemporary pattern book issued by W A Baker & Co. Ltd, Architectural Ironfounders of Westgate Ironworks, Newport, Monmouthshire.
Gates and railings in Aesthetic Movement style dating from 1882. Gatepiers of red brick with Bath stone dressings have chamfered stone bases, brick piers with vertical recessed panels and big pyramidal capping stones. Cast-iron entrance gates and railings have horizontal panels with marginal bars enclosing, at the angles, small sunflowers as paterae; inset centre panels have large radiating sun-rays.
Included for group value with the former Bethany Chapel and for the special interest of the contemporary ironwork.
Other nearby listed buildings